Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Karen’s Journey to 140: The Beauty of Juicing

Way before juicing became a trend in the world of health, fitness and dieting, my family is already doing this, but mainly on fruits.  My husband have heard of Detoxify Bar and wanted to try it so badly that we ended up arguing—and trying it.

Detoxify Bar in Eastwood, Quezon City


You see, Php 1,350 for a day’s consumption of five bottles and two teabags is too pricey for me.  I won’t elaborate on how Zham ended up after consuming all of these, but one thing is what I wanted to tell you—we have to make our own!

Zham became a few pounds lighter and he said he really felt good.  So I was really curious, I wanted to try it out as well but I’m not that willing to shell out a fortune to try ready made juices like the one from Detoxify Bar.  So I suggested that we should buy a juicer and make our own fruit and vegan juice.


It’s a good thing that I found a good deal at Lazada.  I was able to buy this juicer for Php 1,399 (original price is around Php 6,000).  After two days it was delivered to my workplace and we used it right away!

I researched for an easy to follow plan for juicing since this will be the first time to try this on our own.  I stumbled upon Reboot with Joe and found a simple plan for fruit and vegetable juicing.

An excerpt from Reboot With Joe's 5-day juicing plan.  Let me know if you want to have a copy!

Let me share to you some of what we have made.  We bought a week’s supply of fruits and vegetables. Please take note that we were not able to follow the reboot program strictly.  We only took a whole day of juice then a bottle or two for the following days.

Fruits and Veggies galore!
Vegan Detox:
1 stalk of celery
4 green apples
A handful of parsley
4 cucumbers



My thoughts:  The taste is sooooo…. Hmmmm, leafy.  The taste and smell of celery and parsley overpowered the rest.  I advise to either cut down these two or add more cucumber or apple to neutralize the taste.

Carrot-Apple-Lemon
4 carrots
2 apples
1 lemon


We reused the Detoxify Bar bottles for our own made juices!

My thoughts:  This is our ultimate favorite.  Refreshing.

This is our pauso juice mix:
4 yellow apples
4 carrots
4 mangoes
1 lemon
¼ beet root


My thoughts:  We were able to come up to this mix because we don’t have anything left on our stock except for these fruits, hehehe!  Please take note that you should peel of the beet root skin to lessen its earthy taste.  This one is yummy and can make you feel full. (And this is my first time to see/taste yellow apples!)

We usually spend around Php 1,000 to Php 1,500 for a five day supply of fruits and vegetable to juice.  Way more cheaper if you’ll order a ready made version.  You’ll just add up the time and effort that you consume in making your juice.  You could either wake up earlier than usual or prepare it a night before and storing it to your fridge for the next day.  Just remember that you should consume all of these within 24 hours to ensure freshness.

A side note to juicing—drink tea.  I think green tea is ok.  We have a stock of raspberry herbal tea.  We just add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it.  And also, drink lots of water!  We infuse it with cucumber and lemon, and sometimes orange slices.  This is a very calming and refreshing way to drink your water. 

Orange infused drinking water

Raspberry tea with honey

By the way, before you try this detox, it will be best to consult your doctor if you can do this or not. 

So, after a week or two of juicing (with a minimal food intake, no rice, lots of water, and twice a week jog), I lost 10 pounds.  I think I’ll lose more if I’ll do this program strictly.


Have you tried fruit and vegetable juicing?  How was it?  Share it with us through posting at the Comments Section :) 

8 comments:

  1. Meal replacement ba ung juice? Ayoko itry ung green! Hahaha. Mukhang lasang damo. lol. Nabasa ko ung beet somewhere. Maganda siya to lose weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, thanks for dropping by. yes, pag pure juice detox, meal replacement siya... itry mo ung green.. damihan mo nalang ung cucumber hehe.. yung beet lasang lupa kaya binawasan ko ng serving. hehe!

      Delete
  2. I thought so! Kaya pala ayoko siya bilhin kahit anong curiousity ko. Hahahaha! I agree! Mahal maghealthy living kasi sa supermarket lang kumpleto at fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe.. mas mura sa palengke dear! =) kung bibilhin mo ung ready made detox juices mahal talaga.. i think the word is "mas maeffort" maging healthy.. :D

      Delete
  3. Hahahaha! Ilang beses ko na gusto i-try ung detox products na un kaso namamahalan nga ako. :) When you posted the juicer, I checked it out also. Hehe. Korek. Effort! Have you tried GM diet? Effective din siya. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! eto may blog post din ako about GM diet.. http://mymindinrandom.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-gm-diet-experience.html :)

      Delete
  4. I don't know if I can last a day without eating and just drinking fruit and veggie juices. I guess I just have to eat them more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle! Thanks for dropping by! Well, based on my experience, you'll get used to it. But eating them as they are as often as you can is also good! :)

      Delete

ShareThis

Infolinks In Text Ads